Raise a reader!
Every parent’s dream is to see their little child grow in success, Moreover, to be engaged in making that success. One way to achieve that dream is to help your child become a reader.
Here are some keys to help you create a reading-friendly home for your kid:
- Know your child: by knowing the interests of your child, choosing the right read can be made easier. Make sure to keep track to your child’s interests, literacy level, and personality, always have a variety of books that opens more windows to your child’s mind and challenge it. Magazines, audiobooks, newspaper, and comics are enjoyable as well.
- Near to the eye, close to the heart: always keep books around, especially where kids spend most of their time.
- Reading corner: create a cozy comfortable place, with good lighting. Make the reading corner interesting and quiet, and decorate with children’ artwork.
- Dedicate time to read: try to limit the time children spend in front of the TV, computer or video games. This will create more time for reading. Reading times can be set before bed, or after meals.
- Read together: join your child from time to time to read a book together (at least three to four times a week). This can help in building a stronger family bond. You can play a role model to your kids, and pass your reading passion and excitement to them.
- Talk and encourage talking: always talk and discuss what you read with your children, this can help to make the reading process very interactive. And you will be able to know literacy progression of your child. This can also help them feel the ease to talk, ask and discuss their thoughts with you. You get to be their best friend!
Your home is the foundation for your child’s future, attitudes, and values. Make sure to do your best creating our future reader, and thus, leaders.
(Razan Abdul Raouf Yassin)